Sunday, November 18, 2012

My Indy Summer: White River & the Canal

Next up on my list my things to share from my summer in Indianapolis are my some adventures down by the Canal and White River State Park. In Indianapolis, there is a man-made canal in White River State Park, which has a large amount of museums, sculptures, art murals, and tourist sites. This area is on my personal list of "Nicest Things in Indy." I really enjoy running from the art dragons, too!




"The Canal Walk is part of the Indiana Central Canal, which was dug in the early 1800s, in an effort to facilitate interstate commerce.  Today, the refurbished Canal Walk serves the downtown community as a waterside promenade for walkers, runners, bikers, and sightseers.." - Visit Indy







Over the course of the summer, I took quite a few trips to the park/canal, each for a different reason and all fabulous in their unique way.

NCAA Hall of Champions:
The other consultants and I visited the NCAA Hall of Champions, where we saw exhibits of all 23 NCAA sports, played games, watched videos, admired trophies, and more.

Here we goooooo!

University of Vermont, I'll always wonder about you...

The Heisman

Jen's got air!
Fun display of NCAA-approved equipment

Coach Joe Paterno's recognition (photo taken
before the sanctions were assigned)
We visited the Hall of Champions in the midst of the "Penn State Scandal," before the NCAA assigned Coach Paterno and Penn State's sanctions. I was thankful to have been there just in time to see Joe still recognized in the Hall of Champions. 

Love some hockey!
Such an interesting exhibit on women athletes


This really put things into perspective for me. There are so many college athletes who, after graduation, will likely be professionals in their respective fields and never play sports competitively again.



The NCAA Hall of Champions was a phenomenal place to visit; I really enjoyed everything they had to offer. It was educational, fun and different -- highly recommended for your next trip to Indy!



Part of the park is White River State Park Amphitheater. Lauren (a fellow consultant) and I saw Florence and the Machine at this outdoor venue. It was amazing -- the music, the venue, everything! Some of the other bands they had this summer included the Avett Brothers, who I would have loved to have seen but I was traveling during their trip to Indy. But Florence and the Machine was wonderful; they really connected with the crowd and produced a great show.





White River State Park and the Canal is a very large place with a variety of things to do, so I couldn't fit everything in one post. Stay tuned for further canal/park explorations...

No comments:

Post a Comment